Monday, April 11, 2011

Over the Rainbow

This weekend Daphne went to visit my nephew and sister in Buckhannon.  This was no ordinary visit, the purpose was to clean out the basement so she and her children can move there next month.  I know, I know.  It happened so fast I can hardly believe it myself.  But it is true.  I may soon be free.

So what did I do with my freedom this weekend?  I used up the whole first day on the house.  I scrubbed pink icing off the bathroom door, vacuumed up pounds of Nerds, did mountains of laundry, and bombed the house after making sure the checkout girl at Walmart clearly understood I had ants, not roaches.  Wasted day, but I kept in mind that someday soon I would scrub birthday cake off the walls for the last time.

That night I went to bed and it was very quiet.  It is never quiet when I go to bed.  I allowed myself to hope as I had not allowed myself to hope before.  I dreamed of a day soon when I would have this peace and this quiet all the time.  That my children and grandchildren would be happy somewhere else and I would at long last be alone.  And I got tears in my eyes!  What is wrong with me?

The next day was Cullen's birthday and I took him and two friends to a movie (Cullen's pick, worst movie ever) and dinner.  There are few things more annoying in the world than teenage boys together.  At the end of the day I thanked them for being there for me.  It reminded me why I wanted to be alone in the first place.

2 comments:

  1. wow. really?! When you're craving that annoying chaos, come visit me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Thanks for the offer. I am already poised to blog about my empty nest experience!

    ReplyDelete