Wednesday, March 16, 2011

It Doesn't Get Any Better Than That

Remember that scene from City Slickers when they each have to tell the best and the worst day of their lives?  It is not as easy as you might think.  My worst day I know without any thought and maybe one day I will share that with you.  But best day?  That is a lot harder.  Though I did think it strange when they disallowed "the day your kids were born" since that was "too easy".  I can only figure that was because they were men.  20 hours of drug-free labor would not be my best day in any universe.

I have had a lifetime of really great days that in an ordinary life would be the best day.  How to choose? I remember camping on the river with friends in high school and saying that even if someone would show up with a giant million dollar check I could not be happier than I was at that moment.  That was a great day.  I have had many, many days like that.  I have traveled, I have much better friends than I deserve, and a loving, if totally dysfunctional family, there were incredible happy days with my kids (more before, less lately), I  love my job and work with amazing people, and I have been deeply in love for a minute or two.

But the very best day, without any question, was front row, 45-yard line in Phoenix, Arizona, the day WVU beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl.   I know you non-WVU fans are thinking, "Shallow", but you weren't there!  It was transcendental, happiness on an entirely different plane.  There was a woman near me pregnant with her first child and I pitied her for the let down the motherhood was going to be compared to that game.  Okay, a little shallow.

Of course, I have been chasing the dragon ever since, bowl game after disappointing bowl game, the curse of all WVU fans.  But it was worth it for that one joyful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment