Thursday, March 31, 2011

Nature kicks Nuture's Butt

I inadvertently conducted a psychological experiment last night.  I taught my five year old granddaughter to play cards.  It was very interesting to watch the juvenile human display her predisposed nature.  Here is what I discovered.  She likes to win and she won't hesitate to cheat to do so.  I was not at all surprised about the winning thing.  I am not sure if it is an across the board human quality, but it surely is an Alkire one.

My mother, on the other hand, was above all that.  Just ask her. But for obvious Darwinian reasons that saintly quality succumbed to the Alkire cut-throat gene.

The cheating thing did surprise me a little bit though.  Where was that childhood goodness and innocence I have heard so much about?  This kid was cheating her grandma!  And worse yet, she wasn't very good at it.  It was pathetically obvious and she still lost.  But she will get there.  I have had a lot more practice.

1 comment: