Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The One You've Been Waiting For

I know you've been wondering why I haven't talked about my mom.  It's simple, I am terrified of the woman.  My mother is a cross between a Auschwitz prison guard and a KGB interrogator.  She has spies everywhere. She is also a master of psychological warfare and will stop at nothing to get information.  She called me yesterday.

It started off very casually.  She was toying with me.  Five minutes in we are talking about her new glasses when she asks, "Who is there?"  I feel the hairs on the back of my neck start to tingle but I answer truthfully, "The kids."
"How did they get there?"  Something is up, but I am a fly trapped in a web.
"Daphne brought them."

"How did she get them?"  I know I am in trouble.   I have no idea what she is after but every nerve is screaming, "Get off the phone NOW!"
"I don't know."  This is a lie, but I panicked.  She won't let it go.  She wonders why Daphne would have picked them up.  Why aren't the kids with Jeremy my nephew/babysitter?  Did Jeremy bring them to Daphne?  It goes on and on.  Remember THESE ARE DAPHNE'S KIDS.  I stick to my story and she finally moves on.  I relax a little.  We chatted about her physical therapy and a sister or two.  Fifteen minutes later she says, "Where did she get them?"
I am completely lost, "Where did who get whom?"
"Daphne, where did she get the kids?  When Jeremy left here he was going to pick up Elsie at school."
"At school, Mom, at school.  That's where she got them.  She got them at school.  They met at school."  Crying now, "at the school, it was at the school, I don't know why I lied, it was at the school."

She called me again later that evening, "Your sister is in jail."
"You're kidding! What happened?"
"I don't know.  You know I don't like to ask."

Mom and Elsie

4 comments: