Thursday, March 10, 2011

You're in the Army Now

My mom, like a lot of girls in her generation, started having children at a young age.  And she never found the stop button.  By the age of 21, she had three girls and by 30, she had six of them.  Naturally she was overwhelmed and looked for help.  Other mothers read Dr. Spock and nurtured their precious charges.  My mother read the US Marine Corps Drill Sergeant Handbook and whipped us into shape.  It was not an easy environment to grow up in.

Starting school is always a pivotal point in a child's relationship with her mother.  It is the first time the child finds herself alone in the cold world ripped from that warm sheltering bosom.  Then there was my experience.

I remember being excited about my first day of kindergarten.  My mother had prepared me well for the separation by dropping me off at points all over the city with only a compass to find my way home.  One little boy cried for his mommy.  What a wuss!

The teacher, Mrs. Pettigill, arranged the mothers in a semicircle of chairs and we sat at their feet.  She began to call roll.  Of course, since my name is Alkire I was probably the first and this was a new experience.  She also, no doubt, called me Deborah and mangled my last name as people do.  I said nothing.  Silence filled the room.  Mrs. Pettigill repeated her version of my name.  I still didn't recognize it.  Finally my mother, bless her cold, cold heart, flicked me in the back of the head and said, "That's you, stupid".  They just don't make 'em like that anymore.

3 comments:

  1. ah, precious memories... I like this one Debi. Tell you mom "ugly" says hi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was going into the 6th grade my (step)mom MADE ME get my hair cut short. Granted, in was in style for the 60's along with the very long beautiful straight hairdos that all the "Seventeen" magazine models had. Of course, I wanted to look like them. I cried at the salon and I guess I have never completely forgiven her! I just cannot believe our parents could have such power to control our lives --- but skip ahead to me,a mother myself, and remembering all the crap I went through with my daughter and the control issues and the tears and arguments --- well, its easier to imagine how hard it was for her. I was not a happy teen or young adult and I probably made it hell for both parents. Your mom is most certainly an individual to be reckoned with. My mother (mommie)liked her though. I think she liked her bitch-iness --- she had something to say about everything your dad did. My mother (momma) was a strong woman too, but she was so in love with my dad. Imagine, I lost her when I was still calling mommie. When I was pregnant with my daughter and when raising her it was very deep and emotional for me ... especially when I reached the age of my mother when she passed and Chelsea was the same age I was. I had Chelsea very nearly at the exact age as my mother had me. Well, enough of this stuff for now. You and your sisters had it hard I think. I am glad you can still have your sense of humor. It's the only thing that can get you through it all.
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mom is a work of art and she made some unique daughters. Unique is used in the nicest way possible.

    ReplyDelete